5 Quick Tips to Build Your Social Media Following
By Tambra W. Sabatini
In our fast-paced, technology-driven world, social media is the most cost-effective way to market and promote your business or organization. Let’s take a quick look at how posting valuable content can help you build a following among your current customers, and reach new customers.
1) Be regular and consistent. Part of social media’s effectiveness is being able to keep your name and message in front of your followers. A post here and there a couple times of week will get lost in the millions of other posts, so plan a consistent pattern of frequent social media interaction.
2) Speak to your market. The goal is to keep your customers informed. They want to see updates about you and your business, along with other related content that will be of interest to them. This also indicates that you are aware of what is going on in your area of expertise.
3) Match the message and format to the proper network. What works on Twitter doesn’t necessarily work on LinkedIn. The types of messages, frequency of posting, and format varies depending upon where you post. Take the time to learn the social media networks you use and customize your posts to suit each.
4) Respond to your followers. Why bother having social media if you’re not going to be social? Respond to comments, questions, or mentions made by your followers. And the quicker the better. Your response rate matters.
5) Use hashtags where appropriate. Twitter reigns when it comes to hashtags. Hashtags help people find content on the topics that are of interest to them. On the other hand, don’t overuse hashtags on other social media sites.